Image from http://www.amigotrails.com/amigotrails/wp-content/uploads/AT_-travelquote_4.jpg
Who doesn't love a spontaneous adventure? There's nothing quite like doing something totally spur-of-the-moment, such as when your friends pull up their car and convince you to skip class to go have a picnic in the park (and yes, that did happen...multiple times. Not that I'm condoning skipping school!). Even doing something small, like driving through a new neighborhood one afternoon, can bring you a well-needed change of pace. I've compiled a list of ten things that I feel would make decent spontaneous adventures. Keep in mind, an "adventure" can be something as simple as trying a new food! I've kept the list budget-friendly, as well.
1.) Buy cheap kites, drive to your local park, and let loose your inner child with your friends. It's crazy how carefree you feel doing this.
2.) Go to an ethnic restaurant in your town (or a place with food you've never tried before) and order something interesting. Warning: you may become addicted.
3.) Buy some cheap canvases from AC Moore and spatter or finger-paint them. The goal is to purposely not be neat or perfect, but to let your creativity take over.
4.) Grab a friend, a picnic lunch, and take a spontaneous road trip to a nearby town. Don't have a car? You can always use public transportation--or a bike!
5) Are you a baker? Try mixing up an apple crumble or that buttercream frosting you've always wanted to make, but never have. Experiment with different colors, textures, and ingredients. Use what you have in your house. This works with cooking, too.
6) If it's warm where you live, try to find a swimming hole/waterfall where only the locals know to go--if you don't know it already! I guarantee there's one in every town (provided, of course, you live near these natural resources).
7) Be a hometown tourist. C'mon, you pass by that little local museum every day, but you've never been inside. Go ahead and check it out! You've got nothing to lose.
8) You've always said you would do karaoke with your BFF, but chicken out every time. What's life without a little excitement and fear? Go do it, already! Others will envy your courage more than they judge you on how you sing. Promise.
9) Go to the library, perusing the aisles at random, and pick up a book you think looks neat. Check it out. You'll learn something, and you might just happen upon a new passion while you're at it.
10) Do something you've always wanted to--start a blog, try the new tea shop down the street, go to a kick-boxing class. It's spontaneous because you'll decide you want to do it, and then you will pick yourself up and do it! Don't wait to experience the things you want to. You can live the life you want right now; all you have to do is make it happen.
This list is just a tiny scrap of the iceberg. There are so many spontaneous things you can do, it can fill a book. Let me know your awesome ideas for adventures--ones you've tried, ones you want to do. Can't wait to hear them!
Kayla Maneen received her BFA in Creative Writing and minored in adventure and fun. After graduation, she worked on an organic farm in Ireland and taught English in Italy, and learned all there is to know about chasing sheep and eating long, leisurely meals with family. She is adamant about people living out their passions and reaching their highest potentials. Always follow that fire in your heart!